I am a social technologist, journalist and author. I have worked with many household names over the last decade, helping them understand how they can get the best out of social tools for collaboration, communication and outreach. I helped launch Indian news website FirstPost.com, a groundbreaking digital news service from the Network18 media group, and have produced long-term social media strategies for organisations as varied as Pfizer, The Public Catalogue Foundation and Chatham House.
I currently write about publishing, self-publishing and crowdfunding forForbes.com, am a contributor to The Bookseller’s FutureBook blog, and have written about social media, science and technology for The Guardian, CIO Magazine, and .Net Magazine, amongst others. I regularly speak at conferences and private events, and have appeared on Newsnight, Women’s Hour, and the BBC News Channel.
I has self-published two novellas, Argleton and Queen of the May, both of which are available exclusively through my website in an ongoing experiment in direct sales. I have also edited an anthology of essays about women in science and technology, A Passion for Science: Stories of Discovery and Invention, which was published to support Ada Lovelace Day, which I also runs. A keen bookbinder, I like to combine her love for fiction with her passion for the book as a physical artefact.
I provide a number of services to my clients, including:
- Social media strategy: After meetings to gather requirements and understand your company’s needs, resources, and current social media work, I will draw up a long-term strategy to help you get the most out of social media. Suitable for internal projects, such as new intranets, internal communications and collaboration projects, and for external community building and outreach projects.
- Social media strategy workshop: A more compact version of the full social media strategy work suitable for smaller businesses, in which I spend a day talking through your needs, teaching you the key frameworks you need to understand how to build a strategy, and discussing tactics and how to operationalise social media.
- Social functionality design: Whether for the web, an app, or internal applications, I can help you understand how to make your project work as a social offering. The functionality you choose will have a significant impact on how people interact and behave, and I can help you understand the ramifications of those choices.
- Training, coaching and mentoring: I’m an experienced social media tutor, able to train groups, or coach/mentor small groups or individuals.
- Research: Whatever kind of white paper or report you need, I can carry out both original and desk research and provide you with a polished paper ready to publish.
- Speaking: I’m an experienced public speaker, and am happy to talk on the issues surrounding social media, innovation, publishing, and – drawing on my work with Ada Lovelace Day – women in science and technology.
- Other projects: I’m always open to interesting and unusual projects that aren’t described by any of the above offerings. I have produced events, acted as an impartial project assessor to meet grant requirements, assessed copyright frameworks, worked on futurology projects with scenario thinking, and produced evidence for Parliament. I love a challenge, so get in touch, no matter what your project is!